Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Brothel-Wednesday Part 2

praying2
My heart thudded in my chest as we walked up the narrow dark stairway leading into the brothel. At the top of the stairs we turned into a small room where several women sat, just waking up from work the night before. Boxes of condoms lined the wall by the door. They welcomed us in, and took the gift of lunch we brought. We sat down on 2 dirty straw mats they put down on the old wooden floor. Wadded up clothes and dirty dishes crowded the already small space. Looking around the tiny room, I noticed the girls hesitated to look us in the eye. They wore shame like a heavy blanket, but we came in and sat beside them. I reached over and put my hands on the arm of the girl beside me. It took some time, but slowly she let her guard down.
on shelves

As Crissie started to share from the Bible, more girls came in the room. They sat down in a circle, at their lunch and listened. She told them of God's love, how we are all unclean but Jesus can live inside us and take away our shame.

The reality of the situation, of what really goes on in this place hit hard when two of the women jumped up all of a sudden and left the room. We asked where they were going, only to find out that a client had come up the stairs.

We met two sisters Priti and Sanju. Priti is extremely beautiful. She asked us to pray for her. This life is hard. She is having to work extra hours to help pay for a third sister's wedding. We prayed and cried. We asked our guide how these women end up here. He said no girls choose this life. They are either sold by family members or they are tricked into coming to the city from villages on the promise of marriage only to be auctioned off to the highest bidder. Then their life of prostitution begins. They can never leave till their debt is paid off, and that never happens, because they are forced to pay interest. They are slaves for the rest of their lives.
praying together color

At the end of our time one of the girls thanked us for coming. She wanted us to know it made them feel special that we would come all this way to see them.
As we got ready to head back down the stairs, I wasn't prepared for the young girl who came down from upstairs and reached out her hands in the darkness. She had a desperate look on her face. I reached out & touched her and started to pray for God's peace, His joy, His presence in her life, for freedom, for Him to be with her when she was lonely. She clung to my hands and was weeping as I prayed. She was so tenderhearted, and so young. I am guessing she was about 16.
praying hands1

It's hard to even type these words, and tears are close as I think of where she is today. I don't even know her name, but the Lord does. Lord, set her free. Change her life.

The girls asked if we would come again and bring nail polish so we can do nails together. I told them I will be back later this fall and I would bring some polish with me. They smiled.

Check back later today for Wednesday Part 3 & pray for freedom for the girls we met today and that they would know the love of God.
Photos by Jen Price

8 comments:

Unknown said...

OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!! PRAISE GOD. Oh how hard.

Hearts of Mercy said...

Oh, it breaks my heart to read about these girls- I pray for Gods protection...think of you- Hi Kelly Jo- looking beautiful as ever, nice to see your pretty face-miss India- tell everyone hi from us in Norway.....will follow your blog everyday and pray for your stay.

love mona and co

Unknown said...

God bless you and this amazing ministry. You are such and encouragement to so many.

Unknown said...

16? WOW! My oldest daughter just turned 17! It breaks my heart to hear the way these girls are living! However our God is greater and y'all being able to share His love with them will forever be in their hearts! God IS with them!
Continuing to prayer for you gals!!
Thank you for sharing your journey with us!

patti said...

Thank you so much for sharing what life is like. This is so heart breaking. I am praying for you and for the girls...

Home of Harris said...

I could hardly read your post through the tears. I am so thankful that God has sent you and the team to give them hope. I will be praying for her and the others. MAy God continue to guide and direct your steps in your time there!
Tiffany

Chrys said...

Thank you all for being the Light in this dark place...i cannot even fathom the horrors these girls face daily. God, please protect them and make a way for them to be set free from this terrible life. I pray that You will reveal what You would have me do to make a difference Lord.

Unknown said...

i am sitting in romania reading this blog and overwhelmed with compassion for these young women. thank you for going and showing them the love of Jesus. you are his hands and feet...you are his very presence to these girls.

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Best CD Rates